Welcome to the 105th episode of The Author Hangout, a podcast designed to help authors, especially self-published and indie authors, with marketing their books and improving their author platform. Authors struggle with various aspects of marketing and we are here to help!
Telling Stories & Reaching Readers
In this episode, we were joined once again by bestselling author and book marketer, Rob Kosberg. He shared some great insights into some of the best ways to reach people, by telling a story, in the digital age. He also talked about a great way to reach a targeted group of readers to promote your book.
Listen to the Show / Podcast
- FREE: The Ultimate Author Checklist for Online Book Marketing
- Rob’s YourNextBestseller.com
- Rob’s BestsellerPublishing.org
“What we do with video is we try to tell a story because story captivates. Story captures the interest of the audience. So we try to use case studies and client examples to help people to put themselves in that client’s shoes so they can see, “Wow, this is something I can do.” Obviously we’re hoping they’ll want to do it with our help, but at the very least they might gain inspiration to figure out and do it on their own as well. As far as video goes, it’s always story that captures people’s interest.”
“Understand that if you do nothing – and you know these statistics, but the average book sells 200 copies in its lifetime. So if you just publish your book and cross your fingers, then just expect it to be average, unless you have a massive following and audience. If you don’t want that to happen, then all you need to do is a little bit of paid advertising to put your book in front of an audience that has already been cultivated that is interested in your topic. That’s not rocket science, but it does take a little bit of work to find those places and those audiences that have already been built.”
Please Leave Us A Review
Just like authors do with their books, we need reviews for our podcast! Reviews for our podcast help other authors to learn about and learn from The Author Hangout. Can you take a moment to leave a review for our podcast? If you don’t know how but are willing to leave a review, please go here to learn how to leave a quick review for our podcast. It will only take a minute, but it will help a lot.
Thank you so much!
How To Listen
There are many ways to listen to the show:
- Right here… You can listen to the interview above!
- iTunes… Our podcast is up and running on iTunes! Click here to listen to past episodes and subscribe for free to be notified of all future podcasts!
- Stitcher… If you prefer Stitcher for your podcast listening, you can listen to our podcast here.
Get caught up on the other episodes of The Author Hangout that you may have missed:
- Ep 145: “Million Dollar Book Business”
- Ep 144: “Network Net Worth”
- Ep 143: “Learning to Hack Learning”
- Ep 142: “Making Of The Perfect Optin”
- Ep 141: “Coaching Breeds Author Success”
- Ep 140: “Gumroad for Authors”
- Ep 138: “Goal Setting Check-in”
- Ep 137: “Relying On Others”
- Ep 136: “Honest Conversations on Book Marketing”
- Ep 135: “Recognition of Hard Work”
- Ep 133: “Making Money Fast?”
- Ep 132: “Book Marketing & Book Launches”
- Ep 129: “Author Answers: Using KDP Select or Not”
- Ep 126: “Media Interviews & Book Marketing”
- Ep 124: “Goal Setting for Authors”
- Ep 121: “Authors Answers: DIY Blog Tours”
- Ep 119: “Author Answers: Choosing Comparison Titles”
- Ep 115: “Author Answers: Best Marketing Activities”
- Ep 113: “Writing Faster, Marketing Smarter”
- Ep 111: “Building Book Launch Teams”
- Ep 110: “Book Launches and Distribution”
- Ep 107: “NaNoWriMo, Writing, and Marketing”
- Ep 104: “Connect With Other Authors”
- Ep 099: “Maximizing Book Promotions”
- Ep 097: “Kindle in Motion & More”
- Ep 086 – How To Create an Irresistible Opt-In Incentive