Welcome to the 107th episode of The Author Hangout, a podcast designed to help authors, especially self-published and indie authors, with marketing their books and improving their author platform. Authors struggle with various aspects of marketing and we are here to help!
NaNoWriMo, Writing, and Marketing
In this episode, we were joined by author and entrepreneur James Blatch. He talked about how important NaNoWriMo was to his own writing, some writing tips, as well as some solid book marketing strategies.
Listen to the Show / Podcast
“Just write. That was the thing that NaNoWriMo gifted me, and it’s something you hear experienced writers say to you. Bella Andre was a very good interviewee we had earlier this year about this. There’s a point at which you think “I can’t write because I’ve come to a dead end” or “I don’t know what to write.” That actually doesn’t matter, because you will always write. You’ll sit down, and even if it’s borderline gibberish, even if it doesn’t make much sense to you, just sit down and write.”
“I’m going to give it away to whoever asks for it. It’s a simple mathematical calculation in that you will get people who are interested in your writing, interested in the type of books you are going to write, and you’re in contact with them. So you get a warm list of people to sell your later books to, and that is huge. It is the foundation for a financially successful author career. In fact, unless you’re extraordinarily lucky, there’s almost no other way to do it.”
Please Leave Us A Review
Just like authors do with their books, we need reviews for our podcast! Reviews for our podcast help other authors to learn about and learn from The Author Hangout. Can you take a moment to leave a review for our podcast? If you don’t know how but are willing to leave a review, please go here to learn how to leave a quick review for our podcast. It will only take a minute, but it will help a lot.
Thank you so much!
How To Listen
There are many ways to listen to the show:
- Right here… You can listen to the interview above!
- iTunes… Our podcast is up and running on iTunes! Click here to listen to past episodes and subscribe for free to be notified of all future podcasts!
- Stitcher… If you prefer Stitcher for your podcast listening, you can listen to our podcast here.
Get caught up on the other episodes of The Author Hangout that you may have missed:
- Ep 145: “Million Dollar Book Business”
- Ep 144: “Network Net Worth”
- Ep 143: “Learning to Hack Learning”
- Ep 142: “Making Of The Perfect Optin”
- Ep 141: “Coaching Breeds Author Success”
- Ep 140: “Gumroad for Authors”
- Ep 138: “Goal Setting Check-in”
- Ep 137: “Relying On Others”
- Ep 136: “Honest Conversations on Book Marketing”
- Ep 135: “Recognition of Hard Work”
- Ep 133: “Making Money Fast?”
- Ep 132: “Book Marketing & Book Launches”
- Ep 129: “Author Answers: Using KDP Select or Not”
- Ep 126: “Media Interviews & Book Marketing”
- Ep 124: “Goal Setting for Authors”
- Ep 121: “Authors Answers: DIY Blog Tours”
- Ep 119: “Author Answers: Choosing Comparison Titles”
- Ep 115: “Author Answers: Best Marketing Activities”
- Ep 113: “Writing Faster, Marketing Smarter”
- Ep 111: “Building Book Launch Teams”
- Ep 110: “Book Launches and Distribution”
- Ep 107: “NaNoWriMo, Writing, and Marketing”
- Ep 104: “Connect With Other Authors”
- Ep 099: “Maximizing Book Promotions”
- Ep 097: “Kindle in Motion & More”
- Ep 086 – How To Create an Irresistible Opt-In Incentive