Welcome to the 120th episode of The Author Hangout, a podcast designed to help authors, especially self-published and indie authors, with marketing their books and improving their author platform. Authors struggle with various aspects of marketing and we are here to help!
Book Launches & Pay-Per-Click Advertising
In this episode, we interviewed bestselling author, Gregory Diehl. He shared insights on how he turned books in two different genres into bestsellers. He also gave tips on using Amazon ads to help get even more sales for his books.
Listen to the Show / Podcast
- FREE: The Ultimate Author Checklist for Online Book Marketing
- Gregory’s Website
- Gregory’s Author Page on Amazon
“They became my early reviewers, of course, and they became my early promotors. The way I tend to write, at least, either you don’t get it at all, or you really, really like it. So the people who really, really liked either of my books were very eager to share that with other people. That became enough of an initial thrust to get it up there in the Amazon rankings, and at that point it was mostly about playing around with the pricing, keeping things as cheap as possible, at least to begin with – $2.99 for at least the first month, even though the first book was fairly long; it was about 65,000 words, which certainly justifies a higher price than $2.99, but I intentionally kept it as low as I could at first because I didn’t even care about the revenue at first. I just wanted enough people to read the book and get it sustainably successful.”
“The biggest thing for me right now is pay-per-click advertising. I don’t meet a lot of other authors who are using this, and I think many of them don’t even know that Amazon has a pay-per-click platform where you can set up your ads and you can track how many people click on them and set your cost per click, and then you see how many people actually bought the book after clicking on it. If you’ve got a mathematical, analytical mind, you can track exactly how much it’s costing you every time somebody buys one of your books. And if you experiment with enough different ad variations, you can figure out ones that sustainably get people to buy your book. It doesn’t require a lot of social networking and advertising. I think that’s what most people focus on; they spam the Facebook groups and say “Buy my book! It’s amazing! It’s 99 cents only!” That’s not good salesmanship no matter how you look at it.”
Please Leave Us A Review
Just like authors do with their books, we need reviews for our podcast! Reviews for our podcast help other authors to learn about and learn from The Author Hangout. Can you take a moment to leave a review for our podcast? If you don’t know how but are willing to leave a review, please go here to learn how to leave a quick review for our podcast. It will only take a minute, but it will help a lot.
Thank you so much!
How To Listen
There are many ways to listen to the show:
- Right here… You can listen to the interview above!
- iTunes… Our podcast is up and running on iTunes! Click here to listen to past episodes and subscribe for free to be notified of all future podcasts!
- Stitcher… If you prefer Stitcher for your podcast listening, you can listen to our podcast here.
Get caught up on the other episodes of The Author Hangout that you may have missed:
- Ep 145: “Million Dollar Book Business”
- Ep 144: “Network Net Worth”
- Ep 143: “Learning to Hack Learning”
- Ep 142: “Making Of The Perfect Optin”
- Ep 141: “Coaching Breeds Author Success”
- Ep 140: “Gumroad for Authors”
- Ep 138: “Goal Setting Check-in”
- Ep 137: “Relying On Others”
- Ep 136: “Honest Conversations on Book Marketing”
- Ep 135: “Recognition of Hard Work”
- Ep 133: “Making Money Fast?”
- Ep 132: “Book Marketing & Book Launches”
- Ep 129: “Author Answers: Using KDP Select or Not”
- Ep 126: “Media Interviews & Book Marketing”
- Ep 124: “Goal Setting for Authors”
- Ep 121: “Authors Answers: DIY Blog Tours”
- Ep 119: “Author Answers: Choosing Comparison Titles”
- Ep 115: “Author Answers: Best Marketing Activities”
- Ep 113: “Writing Faster, Marketing Smarter”
- Ep 111: “Building Book Launch Teams”
- Ep 110: “Book Launches and Distribution”
- Ep 107: “NaNoWriMo, Writing, and Marketing”
- Ep 104: “Connect With Other Authors”
- Ep 099: “Maximizing Book Promotions”
- Ep 097: “Kindle in Motion & More”
- Ep 086 – How To Create an Irresistible Opt-In Incentive