Welcome to the 97th episode of The Author Hangout, a podcast designed to help authors, especially self-published and indie authors, with marketing their books and improving their author platform. Authors struggle with various aspects of marketing and we are here to help!
Kindle in Motion & More
In this episode, we were joined by bestselling author Rachel Van Dyken. She shared about her experiences as an author, what she thought about being in on the ground floor of the newest ebook reading experience, Kindle in Motion, and her thoughts on writing and book marketing as well.
Listen to the Show / Podcast
“It does get stressful and it does get demanding, but I think that authors forget you’re not branding a book. You’re branding yourself. If you can understand how to brand yourself and sell yourself, rather than just trying to sell a product, that’s when you find success, because people are going to forget about your books the next time somebody else is releasing something. There’s always going to be new books out there and so to try to brand a book or a series specifically, they’re going to get lost and you’re going to get … You know what I mean? You’re just knocking on a door and you’re not going to get an answer.”
“Write more books. That’s the number one thing I would tell myself, and I still tell myself this. You have to have more content out there. You can’t just put all your eggs in one basket and then sob into a bag of Oreos when that one book doesn’t do well. Then, I would say always expect the unexpected because the one book that you think is going to tank is usually the book that does the most amazing and the book that you put all this blood, sweat and tears into that you’re like, “This book’s going to lift,” never does. Never does. It’s always the ones you don’t expect. Make sure you expect the unexpected.”
Please Leave Us A Review
Just like authors do with their books, we need reviews for our podcast! Reviews for our podcast help other authors to learn about and learn from The Author Hangout. Can you take a moment to leave a review for our podcast? If you don’t know how but are willing to leave a review, please go here to learn how to leave a quick review for our podcast. It will only take a minute, but it will help a lot.
Thank you so much!
How To Listen
There are many ways to listen to the show:
- Right here… You can listen to the interview above!
- iTunes… Our podcast is up and running on iTunes! Click here to listen to past episodes and subscribe for free to be notified of all future podcasts!
- Stitcher… If you prefer Stitcher for your podcast listening, you can listen to our podcast here.
Get caught up on the other episodes of The Author Hangout that you may have missed:
- Ep 145: “Million Dollar Book Business”
- Ep 144: “Network Net Worth”
- Ep 143: “Learning to Hack Learning”
- Ep 142: “Making Of The Perfect Optin”
- Ep 141: “Coaching Breeds Author Success”
- Ep 140: “Gumroad for Authors”
- Ep 138: “Goal Setting Check-in”
- Ep 137: “Relying On Others”
- Ep 136: “Honest Conversations on Book Marketing”
- Ep 135: “Recognition of Hard Work”
- Ep 133: “Making Money Fast?”
- Ep 132: “Book Marketing & Book Launches”
- Ep 129: “Author Answers: Using KDP Select or Not”
- Ep 126: “Media Interviews & Book Marketing”
- Ep 124: “Goal Setting for Authors”
- Ep 121: “Authors Answers: DIY Blog Tours”
- Ep 119: “Author Answers: Choosing Comparison Titles”
- Ep 115: “Author Answers: Best Marketing Activities”
- Ep 113: “Writing Faster, Marketing Smarter”
- Ep 111: “Building Book Launch Teams”
- Ep 110: “Book Launches and Distribution”
- Ep 107: “NaNoWriMo, Writing, and Marketing”
- Ep 104: “Connect With Other Authors”
- Ep 099: “Maximizing Book Promotions”
- Ep 097: “Kindle in Motion & More”
- Ep 086 – How To Create an Irresistible Opt-In Incentive