Welcome to the 126th episode of The Author Hangout, a podcast designed to help authors, especially self-published and indie authors, with marketing their books and improving their author platform. Authors struggle with various aspects of marketing and we are here to help!
Media Interviews & Book Marketing
In this episode, we interviewed 9-year old self-published author, Emma Sumner (and her dad Sean). They shared some great insights about self-publishing, marketing, and tips for doing media interviews even if you’re scared.
Listen to the Show / Podcast
“There’s nothing to be afraid of. At first it’s really scary, but once you get on there, you’ll feel a lot better talking to the person that’s interviewing you. I’ve got to admit, I was really scared on my first one and my second one. But I got over it, and anyone can do that.”
“For marketing, it was hard to get the word out at first. The first two days, I didn’t have a launch team, and that was pretty hard. But after we got the launch team it was easier. Writing the book, the hardest part was probably the first draft.”
“I will say one of the biggest marketing tools that we did is just old fashioned getting out and talking about it. I’d talk to everyone I know about this book, and eventually someone would go “I love that idea.” I’ll give them a free book, and they’ll share it with three people, and then all of a sudden we have someone come up and say “Hey, we’d like you to do a book signing at the major Sacramento Park,” which we did. Or “We want you to be part of the Kids Expo,” or “We want you to be on the cover of a magazine.” We’re going to have a photoshoot tomorrow to be on the cover of a magazine. A lot of those have come from word-of-mouth from friends or giving those books out and having her sign those, and just really those little things.”
Please Leave Us A Review
Just like authors do with their books, we need reviews for our podcast! Reviews for our podcast help other authors to learn about and learn from The Author Hangout. Can you take a moment to leave a review for our podcast? If you don’t know how but are willing to leave a review, please go here to learn how to leave a quick review for our podcast. It will only take a minute, but it will help a lot.
Thank you so much!
How To Listen
There are many ways to listen to the show:
- Right here… You can listen to the interview above!
- iTunes… Our podcast is up and running on iTunes! Click here to listen to past episodes and subscribe for free to be notified of all future podcasts!
- Stitcher… If you prefer Stitcher for your podcast listening, you can listen to our podcast here.
Get caught up on the other episodes of The Author Hangout that you may have missed:
- Ep 145: “Million Dollar Book Business”
- Ep 144: “Network Net Worth”
- Ep 143: “Learning to Hack Learning”
- Ep 142: “Making Of The Perfect Optin”
- Ep 141: “Coaching Breeds Author Success”
- Ep 140: “Gumroad for Authors”
- Ep 138: “Goal Setting Check-in”
- Ep 137: “Relying On Others”
- Ep 136: “Honest Conversations on Book Marketing”
- Ep 135: “Recognition of Hard Work”
- Ep 133: “Making Money Fast?”
- Ep 132: “Book Marketing & Book Launches”
- Ep 129: “Author Answers: Using KDP Select or Not”
- Ep 126: “Media Interviews & Book Marketing”
- Ep 124: “Goal Setting for Authors”
- Ep 121: “Authors Answers: DIY Blog Tours”
- Ep 119: “Author Answers: Choosing Comparison Titles”
- Ep 115: “Author Answers: Best Marketing Activities”
- Ep 113: “Writing Faster, Marketing Smarter”
- Ep 111: “Building Book Launch Teams”
- Ep 110: “Book Launches and Distribution”
- Ep 107: “NaNoWriMo, Writing, and Marketing”
- Ep 104: “Connect With Other Authors”
- Ep 099: “Maximizing Book Promotions”
- Ep 097: “Kindle in Motion & More”
- Ep 086 – How To Create an Irresistible Opt-In Incentive