Welcome to the 103rd episode of The Author Hangout, a podcast designed to help authors, especially self-published and indie authors, with marketing their books and improving their author platform. Authors struggle with various aspects of marketing and we are here to help!
Maximizing Your Book Marketing
In this episode, we were joined once-again by bestselling author and book marketing expert, Tom Corson-Knowles. He shared some of his latest insights, foreign-rights deals, editing and publishing advice, email marketing tips, and more.
Listen to the Show / Podcast
- FREE: The Ultimate Author Checklist for Online Book Marketing
- Tom’s Free Video Training Course
- Tom’s Publishing Profits Podcast
“I’ve found that most people, if you’re listening to this right now, you already know at least a half dozen things you could do to improve your life that you’re not yet doing. Why not? Why aren’t you doing that? Why aren’t you exercising? Why aren’t you eating healthy? Why aren’t you writing that book every day? Why aren’t you building your platform? Why aren’t you marketing? Why aren’t you building your email list? If you know something you should be doing and not that someone else told you you need to do, because it was their idea of what’s a good thing to do, but you personally know in your heart that this is what you should be doing with your life and you’re not doing it, I think that’s where most people mess up.”
“One of the issues a lot of authors have, especially new folks who don’t have a platform yet, is the first thing they do when they publish a book is they go tell all their friends and family and they spam every author group on Facebook. They just want anyone to buy their book. You get all these different people buying your book and it’s completely irrelevant. What happens is, Amazon’s going to say, “You bought Tom’s book on Secrets of a Six Figure Author. You’re also going love 17 Weight Loss Smoothie Recipes.” It’s completely irrelevant to what your book is, because your first 20 or 50 or 100 customers were just random people. They weren’t in your market. It’s much smarter and much wiser to go out and focus on getting sales, even if it’s only a couple, from people in your actual market.”
Please Leave Us A Review
Just like authors do with their books, we need reviews for our podcast! Reviews for our podcast help other authors to learn about and learn from The Author Hangout. Can you take a moment to leave a review for our podcast? If you don’t know how but are willing to leave a review, please go here to learn how to leave a quick review for our podcast. It will only take a minute, but it will help a lot.
Thank you so much!
How To Listen
There are many ways to listen to the show:
- Right here… You can listen to the interview above!
- iTunes… Our podcast is up and running on iTunes! Click here to listen to past episodes and subscribe for free to be notified of all future podcasts!
- Stitcher… If you prefer Stitcher for your podcast listening, you can listen to our podcast here.
Get caught up on the other episodes of The Author Hangout that you may have missed:
- Ep 145: “Million Dollar Book Business”
- Ep 144: “Network Net Worth”
- Ep 143: “Learning to Hack Learning”
- Ep 142: “Making Of The Perfect Optin”
- Ep 141: “Coaching Breeds Author Success”
- Ep 140: “Gumroad for Authors”
- Ep 138: “Goal Setting Check-in”
- Ep 137: “Relying On Others”
- Ep 136: “Honest Conversations on Book Marketing”
- Ep 135: “Recognition of Hard Work”
- Ep 133: “Making Money Fast?”
- Ep 132: “Book Marketing & Book Launches”
- Ep 129: “Author Answers: Using KDP Select or Not”
- Ep 126: “Media Interviews & Book Marketing”
- Ep 124: “Goal Setting for Authors”
- Ep 121: “Authors Answers: DIY Blog Tours”
- Ep 119: “Author Answers: Choosing Comparison Titles”
- Ep 115: “Author Answers: Best Marketing Activities”
- Ep 113: “Writing Faster, Marketing Smarter”
- Ep 111: “Building Book Launch Teams”
- Ep 110: “Book Launches and Distribution”
- Ep 107: “NaNoWriMo, Writing, and Marketing”
- Ep 104: “Connect With Other Authors”
- Ep 099: “Maximizing Book Promotions”
- Ep 097: “Kindle in Motion & More”
- Ep 086 – How To Create an Irresistible Opt-In Incentive