Welcome to the 123rd episode of The Author Hangout, a podcast designed to help authors, especially self-published and indie authors, with marketing their books and improving their author platform. Authors struggle with various aspects of marketing and we are here to help!
Author Answers: Social Media Engagement
In this episode, Shawn Manaher answers a great question about social media engagement from author Mike Stop Continues, in our popular “Author Answers” series. Shawn loves lists and he lists 4 great keys to proper social media engagement as an author.
Want to have your question answered on a future podcast episode? Call (605) 299-BOOK – that’s (609) 299-2665, and leave a message saying your name, your book title, and your question (2-3 sentences max).
Listen to the Show / Podcast
“Deep, not wide. Do “deep, not wide” until you can afford to do it all. That means if you are going to focus on social media, then I highly, highly recommend that you do not get on every single platform that is out there. What I do recommend is that you focus on one platform really strongly, get to know it, the way in which people talk on it, the way in which they engage, and the way in which they sell until that becomes a sustainable, profitable social platform for you. And then go on to the next one and the next one.”
“You must have a strategy that makes sense according to the genre of the book that you are writing in. What that might look like is that if you are a sci-fi writer and you are trying to profit from the social media lessons that we’re talking about, don’t just join any group of people on Facebook and begin to blast them with all the great social media posts that you have about “buy my book.” It does not work. What does work is doing this: creating a funnel. Moving people from traffic to connection to a list to selling.”
Please Leave Us A Review
Just like authors do with their books, we need reviews for our podcast! Reviews for our podcast help other authors to learn about and learn from The Author Hangout. Can you take a moment to leave a review for our podcast? If you don’t know how but are willing to leave a review, please go here to learn how to leave a quick review for our podcast. It will only take a minute, but it will help a lot.
Thank you so much!
How To Listen
There are many ways to listen to the show:
- Right here… You can listen to the interview above!
- iTunes… Our podcast is up and running on iTunes! Click here to listen to past episodes and subscribe for free to be notified of all future podcasts!
- Stitcher… If you prefer Stitcher for your podcast listening, you can listen to our podcast here.
Get caught up on the other episodes of The Author Hangout that you may have missed:
- Ep 140: “Gumroad for Authors”
- Ep 138: “Goal Setting Check-in”
- Ep 137: “Relying On Others”
- Ep 136: “Honest Conversations on Book Marketing”
- Ep 135: “Recognition of Hard Work”
- Ep 133: “Making Money Fast?”
- Ep 132: “Book Marketing & Book Launches”
- Ep 129: “Author Answers: Using KDP Select or Not”
- Ep 126: “Media Interviews & Book Marketing”
- Ep 124: “Goal Setting for Authors”
- Ep 121: “Authors Answers: DIY Blog Tours”
- Ep 119: “Author Answers: Choosing Comparison Titles”
- Ep 115: “Author Answers: Best Marketing Activities”
- Ep 113: “Writing Faster, Marketing Smarter”
- Ep 111: “Building Book Launch Teams”
- Ep 110: “Book Launches and Distribution”
- Ep 107: “NaNoWriMo, Writing, and Marketing”
- Ep 104: “Connect With Other Authors”
- Ep 099: “Maximizing Book Promotions”
- Ep 097: “Kindle in Motion & More”
- Ep 086 – How To Create an Irresistible Opt-In Incentive
- Ep 085: Build a Killer Self-Hosted Author Website
- Ep 084: An Introduction to How to Build a Responsive Author Email List in Just 30 Days
- Ep 083: How To Use Content Marketing To Delight Your Readers
- Ep 082: “The ONE Social Media Platform You Should Be on Today!”
- Ep 081: “How To Create A Reader Profile”